Welcome to the enchanting world of 19th Century! In this article, we delve into the captivating realm of 19th century movies on Netflix, where timeless tales of romance, adventure, and intrigue come alive. Join us as we explore the cinematic gems that transport us back to a bygone era of elegance and charm.
Exploring the Glorious 19th Century Era: Must-Watch Movies on Netflix
The 19th century was a truly remarkable era filled with significant historical events and cultural transformations. If you are passionate about this period and looking for captivating movies on Netflix to explore this glorious time, here are some must-watch recommendations:
1. “Pride and Prejudice” (2005): This classic adaptation of Jane Austen’s beloved novel brings the 19th century English society to life with its intriguing portrayal of love, class divisions, and societal expectations.
2. “The Age of Innocence” (1993): Set in New York City during the late 1800s, this drama directed by Martin Scorsese delves into the constricting social customs and forbidden desires prevalent during that time.
3. “Gangs of New York” (2002): Directed by Martin Scorsese, this epic historical drama takes place in the mid-19th century and depicts the violent clashes between different ethnic gangs in the midst of New York City’s rapid urbanization.
4. “Amadeus” (1984): Although set in the 18th century, this masterpiece explores the life of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and his impact on the music scene during the transition from the 18th to the 19th century.
5. “The Remains of the Day” (1993): This thought-provoking drama sheds light on the decline of the British aristocracy in the early 20th century, but it also reflects on the remnants of the 19th-century societal norms.
These movies offer glimpses into various aspects of the 19th century, from romance and social norms to historical events and cultural shifts. Each presents a unique perspective on this glorious era and is definitely worth watching for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the time.
Cranford (2007) S1E1 – June 1842 / full episode
The Proposition (1996) | Full Movie | Theresa Russell | Patrick Bergin | Richard Lynch
What Netflix series takes place in the 19th century?
Peaky Blinders is a popular Netflix series that takes place in the 19th century. Set in post-World War I Birmingham, England, the show follows the notorious Shelby crime family as they navigate the criminal underworld. With its lavish period costumes and gritty storytelling, Peaky Blinders has gained a dedicated following for its portrayal of life in the early 20th century.
What are some good historical dramas available on Netflix?
If you are interested in historical dramas set in the 19th century, here are some great options available on Netflix:
1. The Crown – This popular series chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II from the early years of her marriage to the present day.
2. Peaky Blinders – Set in post-World War I Birmingham, this gripping crime drama follows the Shelby crime family as they rise to power in the world of organized crime.
3. Alias Grace – Based on Margaret Atwood’s novel, this miniseries tells the story of Grace Marks, a young Irish immigrant accused of murder in 19th century Canada.
4. Ripper Street – Set in Whitechapel after the Jack the Ripper murders, this series follows a group of detectives as they tackle crime and corruption in Victorian London.
5. North and South – This British miniseries is based on Elizabeth Gaskell’s novel and explores the social and industrial changes of the 19th century through the story of a young woman who moves from the rural south to the industrial north of England.
6. Anne with an E – A charming adaptation of Lucy Maud Montgomery’s iconic novel, “Anne of Green Gables,” this series follows the imaginative and spirited Anne Shirley as she navigates life in the late 19th century.
7. The Alienist – Based on Caleb Carr’s novel, this psychological thriller follows a criminal psychologist in 1896 New York City as he investigates a series of gruesome murders.
These are just a few of the historical dramas available on Netflix that take place in the 19th century. Each series offers a unique perspective on different aspects of this fascinating era.
What 19th century period dramas are available on Netflix?
Netflix offers a variety of 19th century period dramas for viewers to enjoy. Some popular options include:
1. Pride and Prejudice (1995): This classic adaptation of Jane Austen’s beloved novel follows the romantic journey of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in 19th century England.
2. Jane Eyre (2011): Based on Charlotte Brontë’s gothic novel, this film depicts the passionate love story between Jane Eyre, a young governess, and Mr. Rochester, the enigmatic owner of Thornfield Hall.
3. Little Women (1994): Set during the American Civil War, this heartwarming story explores the lives of four sisters—Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy March—as they navigate love, friendship, and societal expectations.
4. The Duchess (2008): Inspired by the true story of Georgiana Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire, this film portrays her struggles with her loveless marriage, societal pressures, and her passionate affair.
5. Madame Bovary (2014): Adapted from Gustave Flaubert’s classic novel, this film depicts Emma Bovary’s discontentment with her provincial life, leading her down a path of extramarital affairs and financial ruin.
6. Anne with an E (2017-2019): Although not set in the 19th century, this series is based on Lucy Maud Montgomery’s “Anne of Green Gables” and follows the adventures of Anne Shirley, an imaginative young orphan in Canada during the late 1800s.
These are just a few examples, but Netflix offers a wide selection of period dramas from the 19th century.
What are films set in the 19th century referred to as?
Films set in the 19th century are referred to as period films or historical films. These movies aim to recreate and portray the time period and events that took place during the 19th century. They often depict specific historical events, famous figures, and cultural aspects of that era. These films provide audiences with a glimpse into the past and help them better understand the history and culture of the 19th century.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some highly recommended 19th century movies available on Netflix?
Sure! Here are some highly recommended 19th century movies available on Netflix:
1. Pride and Prejudice (2005) – This classic romance film based on Jane Austen’s novel follows the story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in 19th century England.
2. Jane Eyre (2011) – A gothic romance film adaptation of Charlotte Bronte’s novel, depicting the life of a young governess and her complicated relationship with her employer.
3. The Age of Innocence (1993) – Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film is set in high society New York City in the 1870s and explores the complexities of love, tradition, and social expectations.
4. Farah Goes Bang (2013) – This coming-of-age comedy-drama revolves around a group of young women campaigning for John Kerry during his presidential run in 2004, while also addressing themes of identity and self-discovery.
5. The Duchess (2008) – Set in 18th-century England, this historical drama tells the story of Georgiana Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, and her turbulent marriage.
6. Amadeus (1984) – Although not strictly set in the 19th century, this award-winning film portrays the life and rivalry between composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri in 18th century Vienna.
7. Little Women (2019) – Based on Louisa May Alcott’s classic novel, this film explores the lives of the March sisters in the mid-19th century, as they navigate love, career choices, and societal expectations.
Please note that Netflix’s content library may vary depending on your region and subscription.
Are there any historically accurate 19th century movies on Netflix?
Yes, there are several historically accurate 19th century movies available on Netflix. Here are a few recommendations:
1. The Young Victoria (2009): This film tells the story of Queen Victoria’s early years and her ascension to the throne. It provides a detailed depiction of Victorian-era England.
2. Lincoln (2012): Directed by Steven Spielberg, this film focuses on the final months of President Abraham Lincoln’s life and his efforts to abolish slavery in the United States during the American Civil War.
3. Mary Shelley (2017): This biographical drama explores the life of author Mary Shelley, best known for writing the novel “Frankenstein.” It delves into the societal challenges and personal struggles she faced in the 19th century.
4. Ripper Street (2012-2016): Although not a movie, this British TV series set in late 19th century London offers a gritty and historically accurate depiction of the aftermath of the Jack the Ripper killings.
5. The Assassin (2015): This Taiwanese martial arts film is set in the 9th century but offers a visually stunning and immersive portrayal of the time period, with meticulous attention to historical details.
Please note that availability may vary depending on your location, and new titles are often added or removed from Netflix’s catalog.
Can you suggest some popular 19th century romance movies on Netflix?
Sure! Here are some popular 19th century romance movies available on Netflix:
1. Pride and Prejudice (2005) – Based on Jane Austen’s classic novel, this film follows the love story between Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy in 19th century England.
2. Jane Eyre (2011) – A haunting adaptation of Charlotte Brontë’s novel, this film explores the passionate romance between Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester.
3. Sense and Sensibility (1995) – Directed by Ang Lee, this movie brings to life another Jane Austen masterpiece, telling the tale of the Dashwood sisters and their quest for love and happiness.
4. Far from the Madding Crowd (2015) – This period drama is based on Thomas Hardy’s novel and follows the independent Bathsheba Everdene as she navigates the complexities of love and relationships.
5. Becoming Jane (2007) – Inspired by Jane Austen’s own life, this film delves into the budding romance between the young author and a charming Irishman named Tom Lefroy.
6. Anna Karenina (2012) – Set in Imperial Russia, this adaptation of Leo Tolstoy’s novel showcases the forbidden love affair between Anna Karenina and Count Vronsky, amid a backdrop of societal expectations.
7. The Age of Innocence (1993) – Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film sheds light on the restrained passion and societal pressures surrounding a complicated love triangle in 19th century New York City.
Please note that the availability of these movies may vary depending on your region.
In conclusion, Netflix has provided an incredible platform for viewers to immerse themselves in the rich history of the 19th century through a wide selection of movies. These films offer glimpses into the political, social, and cultural aspects of this transformative era, allowing us to better understand the challenges and triumphs of that time. Through compelling storytelling and masterful cinematography, these movies transport us back to a time when society was undergoing significant changes. Whether it is witnessing the struggles of the working class, the fight for women’s rights, or the effects of rapid industrialization, these films provide valuable insights into the complexities of the 19th century. Netflix’s commitment to curating a range of 19th century movies speaks to their dedication to providing diverse and educational content for their viewers. So, grab some popcorn and immerse yourself in the wonders of the 19th century with the remarkable selection available on Netflix.